I’d like to talk about the causes of domestic violence. First, let me say that it doesn’t matter what the cause of domestic abuse is if you’re in an abusive relationship. You need to try to find a way to leave the relationship because it is highly likely that your abuser is not going to change and you need to protect yourself.
Any type of domestic violence is about control and manipulation. The abuser wants to control the woman, even when he knows he’s hurting her. Domestic violence is not a mental illness.
How did an abuser get this way? Here are a few studied reasons why people abuse:
- It’s in his personality—he was born that way.
- He came from an abusive home and was taught disrespect and learned the behavior. (Not all children from abusive homes will abuse, many will choose the other path.)
- Alcohol and drugs can intensify the abuse.
- He has acted out violently and no one has stopped his behavior.
- He has the belief that he can dominate a woman.
- He may have poor impulse control.
What are your thoughts?
Remember, if we can help just one woman, we’ve done our job. Have a great week!